Thursday, September 25, 2008

Who's your city?

Mega Regions in Europe




















The latest book by Richard Florida "Who's your city?" from which the map was extracted, builds up on his previous research about the particularities that a city should have in order to attract the creative class. Although his theory brings nothing new to me, this book has something which I found to be interesting.

Florida proposes three questions that help one find out who his/her city is. The questions sound like this:

1) How do you like the place you’re living now? Is it somewhere you really want to be? Does it give you energy? When you walk out onto the street—or the country lane—in the morning, does it fill you with inspiration, or stress? Does it allow you to be the person you really want to be? Are you achieving your personal goals? Is it a place you would recommend to your relatives and friends?

2) Have you thought about moving? If so, what are the top three places on your radar screen? What do you like about them? Specifically, what do you think they offer you? How would your life be different in these places?

3) Have you ever sat down and compared where you’re living now to those places? Honestly, have you given this a fraction of the thought and energy you’ve given to your job and career prospects, or if you’re single, to your dating life?

When I looked at the first question, I realized that I've already answered to it for some time already. That is, in my case whenever somebody asks me why I liked Vienna, my answer went on like this: it's the place that makes me feel active, which makes me feel that the city belongs to me and I am invited to use all its amenities that it has to offer , it's the city where I feel free and respected, and where I can combine both a good quality of living while maintaining a connection with the CE Europe.

Furthermore, I realized that I tend to promote Vienna to anybody who asks me about this city, about whether she/he should choose it over other cities.

Thus, I am now more certain that Vienna is a place for me to be....but who knows, maybe I will discover other cities where I will feel at least as good as I enjoyed Vienna.

So, do you know who your city is?

And a link to a test called "place finder". You can try it for fun, although I don't believe in it. The three questions seem much more insightful than the questionnaire.
Place finder

No comments: