Monday, December 29, 2008

Reghin through new glasses

Having spent this winter vacation in Reghin after living for a long time in another place, I've been able to see my hometown through different glasses than that of a resident. What I saw really impressed me and it made me wonder why I didn't notice these things before. The conclusion is that it isn't such a bad town to live in as I thought before.

Why?

Let's analyze it according to the already established criteria for evaluating a town.
- Transportation - within an hour drive to an international airport which connects you via Budapest (the capital of Hungary and not of Romania) to the entire Europe
- Free time activities - more than I imagined. Cultural activities: theater and cinemas within one hour drive; opera within one and half hour drive. Spas and wellness centers - within thirty minutes drive. Outdoor activities - mostly hiking, skiing - within one hour drive.
- Clubs and bars - this is still a minus for the town, as there is a very limited offer.
- Safety - as most small towns, it is very safe, also during the night.
- Education opportunities - elementary school in three languages: Romanian, German, Hungarian existent in town. High schools with the most common specialization - in town and within an hour drive. University - a limited choice within an hour drive and a very good university center within one hour and a half drive.
- Utilities - such as hairdresser, solarium - wide offer in town. Fast moving consumer goods shops - in town and bigger shopping centers within an hour drive.

However, what is missing are the people with the same education level and life aspirations.

So, what I wonder is: how does a town develop - it is the "right" creative people who should come first or the "right" amenities to attract them?

Apparently for Reghin, one of the problems seems to be how to market the town so that people get an accurate image of what it nowadays offers and shadow the old impressions of an isolated place.

1 comment:

Klaus said...

Despite that I learn to make studies according effective issues, I never calculated attractions in /near my town by thinking of driving hours. I never thought about take account about traffic jam which is a rule in big cities.
If I compare Reghin according driving hours to Bucharest, offers are relative at same living time :). The advantage of living in Bucharest is that you can be within 1 hour in one ministry meeting or presidential meeting.