Saturday, December 6, 2008

Quality of Life vs. Quality of Living

While visiting the no.1. ranked city in the world on quality of living, I was thinking: Zurich is not even that special. Why should it be so high ranked?

Definitely, if I start looking at the factors which are taken into consideration for this classification, namely:
- internal stability, crime, law enforcement
- public services and transport
- banking services
- schools 
- recreation 
- housing 
- natural environment

...then it might be understandable the outcome. 

However, if a city is ranked number 1 in the quality of living does it mean that it has the same place when ranked to quality of life?
or in other words....

Would you prefer to live in a city with a high quality of living or in one with a high quality of life?

Had I been asked this question, I would definitely pick the second one, with the high quality of life. Why?

It's quite simple. Quality of life is a subjective measure and if I imagine been given the chance to live in a high ranked city on quality of living, but where I have no friends, I would feel miserable and I wouldn't care less that I can feel safe there, or that I have a high variety of recreation activities. What are they good for if I don't have anybody to go with to enjoy that high quality of living?

To sum up, I realized that I would prefer to be in a city where I have friends, even if it's dirtier, noisier, more dangerous and poorer in facilities than in a glamorous, safe, full fetched city all by myself.
That is, I'd rather stay in a 3* hotel which has a homey atmosphere than in a 5* all inclusive impersonal hotel. 

What would you choose?

No comments: