Monday, December 22, 2008

Christmas modernity

Father: So, here's the Christmas tree. It is pretty uniform...
Daughter: Please bring it in after you refine its height.
Father: But what about the artificial tree that I bought last year? It's in the garage. It looks like a real one and it doesn't even leave any leafs. 
Daughter: ....I see...and what about the typical Christmas tree smell?...
Father: But you see, because of the temperature, the real one will soon dry and its leafs will start falling. 
Daughter:..I understand...ok, bring the one from the garage. I'll try to make it look real. However, what do we do then with the real one? 
Dana (a co-worker) is just arriving. 
Father: Dana, do you already have a Christmas tree? 
Dana: No, I don't. 
Father: Would you like to have this tree? Look how nice it is. It will be perfect for your apartment. 
Dana:  Thank you, sir. Do you mind if I come to pick up the tree only tomorrow?


This snapshot shows how modernity is seen in Romania. Artificial trees replace the strong scent of the Christmas tree, the smell of home made cookies are replaced by the series produced cookies bought in the hypermarket. 

Why did the old traditional values go? 

The generations that are now between 40-50 years old have been raised during the communism, when traditions and values were suppressed, religion was banned and larger group gatherings interdicted. 
Now, when they start affording the goods they didn't find or could buy before, they are rushing to internalize them in their homes. 

Question: Why did you buy that curtain? I once asked my mom. It doesn't really fit to the style of our house.
Answer: The lady from the shop told me that these curtains are the trendiest of all. 

Examples such as the ones above show how Romanian middle class people from mid and small size towns think. Even though one might argue that it is not representative for the entire land, it is the kind of thinking that I often deal with when talking to 40-50 year old. 

That's why I miss the Christmas feeling, the Christmas cooking activities and the Christmas cookies smell, the wine, the carols...and I actively try to influence people to revive it. 

No comments: