Sunday, July 6, 2008

More about our image in Switzerland

Dear all,

What?
look at this picture:

This is a sketch from an article published in the French speaking part of Switzerland. The topic was the "liberty of movement", which Switzerland should extend to Romania and Bulgaria.

Once more, this is the perception of some West European countries about Romania. I've discussed on this topic with my roommate, originally from France. She told me that in France Romania is viewed as a third-world country, that doesn't even have universities. Even herself has always thought about Transilvania like a dark place.
Furthermore, while talking to another friend about my home in Reghin, he was surprised at hearing that I have a pond, a waterfall and a pool. I don't wanna know what he imagined about the housing conditions in Romania.

So what?
I believe that it's obvious that we need to do something to show what Romania really is, that is not only gipsies and beggars. Although I personally don't feel that people look down on me because I'm from Romania, sometimes it's clear to me that they have no idea about the country.

How?
What's within my reach is to tell stories, show pictures about my countries and use the word-of-mouth and personal example to change their perceptions.
What are you doing in this regard yourselves?

No comments: